Sunday, April 8, 2012

To Shoot a Zombie

"To love another person is to see the face of God." - Victor Hugo


I really admire people who live deliberately. Who live according to their values not because they should but because they really do value those things, and they value them a lot.


My grandma would not shoot a zombie if it was running toward her teeth-bared because she is a pacifist to the core. (This is a fact. I have asked her.) I'm not a fan of violence, but you'd better believe I'd be firing away at that zombie.


It should be noted that my grandma is a much better person than I am. Although I doubt any of you would tell me I'm in the wrong in that particular scenario (unless you just felt like arguing).


I might completely disagree with you on a point, but that doesn't lessen my admiration at all-- like in the case of some of the people A. J. Jacobs encountered in The Year of Living Biblically. Now they are some inspiring people.


I might think you're being unreasonable. I might think you're being extreme. I might think that it really doesn't matter that much so why are you making such a big deal about it and you know there are plenty of complications and shades of gray involved with this so why don't you consider some of those, but the truth is that even if I think any of those things, I still respect you enormously for it.


This is also one of the reasons behind my adoration for all of the people I've met the few times I've been to the Quaker Meeting I love gushing about on here. They care. They care about people, and each other, and the Meeting, and being Quakerly, and...it just matters. To become an official member you have to prove before a clearance committee that it really is important to you and you really are going to take it seriously. And I love that.


All of these people make me reevaluate myself and my decisions and make me into a better person. So thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I _so_ know that feel, bro. I always feel this sense of clarity and zest when I have a religious experience, and I promise myself that I'm going to be totally principled and saintly and awesome for the whole rest of my life and never pray late and I'm going to do everything for all the right reasons and I'll never do anything wrong or stupid or lazy like not write thank you notes or letters to relatives... and then I get distracted and break all my promises (keeping a daily diary- who was I frakking kidding?). Why do I have to be so gorram human all the time?

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.