Monday, November 7, 2011

"I Like Your Creativity"

"There is no better high than discovery." - E. O. Wilson


The second meeting this year of the writing club I mentor at my old elementary school was today. A kid came up to me, looking absolutely terrified, and said, "We don't have to write 50,000 words this month, do we?"


The poor kid. I explained the Young Writer's Program to him and said we'd be working out reasonable word count goals after they were finished sharing their stories with each other. I read Plot Chickens aloud just like I did last year, and then we split up into groups.


My group's favorite thing to say as feedback, other than complimenting each other on their descriptions, was "I like your creativity." And they meant it completely sincerely. Apparently the other group was critiquing each other's use of commas.


Out of all the members of my group, the highest word count goal is 11,000 (he made 12,000 last year), and the lowest is 300, with most of them being between 500 and 1500.


As for me, I'm a little over 16,000 and mine is going completely off the rails. 
The first two chapters of my 2009 NaNoNovel are now on Figment, though, if anyone wants to read them. I'm planning on updating it about once a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.