Saturday, February 25, 2012

Humanistquakervaguelybuddhistagnostinondenominational

"What happens is not as important as how you react to what happens." - Ellen Glasgow


"I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect." - Edward Gibbon


My school's paying for the entire junior class to take the ACT next week, so I had the pleasure of skipping my favorite class of the day to bubble answers to survey questions for an hour and a half today.


One of the questions was a bit difficult for me: "Please bubble in the code corresponding to your religious affiliation."


I was raised Lutheran.
I go to a Quaker Meeting when I can get a ride.
I've been liking Buddhism a lot the last few months.
I'm agnostic-borderline-atheist but hate using those terms for my "religion" since they just deal with god(s) vs. no god(s) vs. maybe god(s) and it's distinctly more complicated than that.
But "nondenominational" sounds religious in the traditional sense, which I'm not. ("Independently spiritual" is better, but that sounds New Age-y and mildly pretentious, and the "spiritual" section at Barnes and Noble is just filled with Tarot books and stuff.)
And then there's "other," which gives me the impression I'm just going to get shunned for not falling into one of the other groups. Which isn't a bad thing, but it sounds more "I sacrifice animals at midnight" than it does "I don't fit into your categories" to me.


So there's 6 different options, 4-5 of which are fairly accurate. And they expect me to choose just one.


I'm pretty sure I ended up going with nondenominational. Maybe "it's complicated" should migrate from relationship statuses to religious views.

2 comments:

  1. If memory serves me well, then I believe I was "Other" (agnostic, really). But why would they need to know? is my question.

    By the way, I love the whole mortals/immortals/undead-not-intent-on-eating-my-flesh thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's in case religiously affiliated colleges want to contact you.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.