Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Contest and Fantasizing About Said Contest

Has anyone besides me noticed that my post count for this month has almost exceeded the post count for last YEAR? That's unexpected. I'm glad I'm using this blog more often.

There's this contest that just opened up for any writers with a novel to publish. I think you're technically supposed to have a finished manuscript, but since there's NO FEASIBLE WAY I'm going to finish Clockwork by February 7th, I'm going to submit what I have along with a summary of the rest of the plot.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Breakthrough-Novel-Award-Books/b?ie=UTF8&node=332264011

The idea is for people with unpublished books to get a chance at getting published. There are two winners: one for general fiction and one for young adult fiction. The winner gets a contract with Penguin Publishing and $15,000 advance money. Pretty sweet.
Now I'm going to have a little fantasy here about the 99.99% chance of me winning (actually, there's probably slightly better odds than that). My parents have a policy about any amount of money my sisters and I make disregarding birthdays and Christmas. We have to give 80% of it to college, and then the rest is free for us to use as we will (within limits, of course). D'you know what 20% of 15000 is? $3,000. That's still a lot of money. **daydreams happily about Harry Potter conferences and a new computer**.

I'm looking forward to the meeting tomorrow, for both listening (I love listening to you guys read) and getting feedback on my own stuff. Who's bringing what?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.