Monday, January 17, 2011

An Abundance of Quotes Part 7 & Inception

"Normal is not something to strive for; it is something to run away from." - Joe Roach


"Anyone can become angry. This is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way--that is not easy." - Aristotle


"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is a habit." - Aristotle


"If gods exist, where do they live?" - Socrates


"Attacking bad books is not only a waste of time but also bad for the character." - W. H. Auden


I just watched Inception, and it was also amazing. We're going to watch it again sometime this coming week.


I saw it for the first time Saturday night. My best friend called me, said she'd watched it the night before and wanted to see it again, thought I would enjoy it, and her family was all going to be gone for various reasons so thought that night would be a good time to watch it. I immediately said "YES."


Throughout the first half, I kept asking lots of questions and making lots of guesses, partially because I wanted to know, partially because I enjoyed coming up with ridiculous theories, and partially because I knew she'd find it entertaining. 


And the end. The end was awesome, and sparked so much discussion.


Leave your theories in the comments. I want to read them.


(SPOILER ALERT FROM HERE ON OUT)


Some things we discussed:

  • Is the end intended to be a real life Inception, meaning that it's just there to make us think and wonder?
  • Does it mean that it doesn't matter whether it's real or not, because he's happy?
  • Was it wobbling?
  • Is he still in Limbo?
  • Was the entire movie in Limbo, and the real point was to get him out of it?
  • Did she really die?
  • "They come here to wake up." (the old guy in the basement where the chemist works)
Tell me your thoughts, O Readers!

2 comments:

  1. My philosophy in regards to this (absolutely wonderful) movie relates to points #2 and #7. And also to David Hume. Hume noticed that there is no purely rational way to confirm that we are experiencing something that we would call a reality. Nonetheless, we do believe that children play, birds sing, and wind blows, so we should respond to these perceptions as though they were real, for our own peace of mind if nothing else. So, if people find a reality that they seem pleased with and decide that it is "real", what could possible go wrong with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, #2 was the first thing out of my mouth after "Ohhhh. WOW."
    Since everyone else within his world seems convinced that it's real, it doesn't seem to be much of a problem, even if he's just separated from those who disagree.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.