Thursday, May 19, 2011

Why Is Today Awesome?

"Never cut what you can untie." - Joseph Joubert. That's probably one of my favorite quotes I've posted on here in awhile. Then again, ripping Band-Aids off quickly seems to be less painful. Thoughts, anyone?


I have this journal that I call my Why Today Is Awesome Journal. I try to write a one-two line entry every day, and on the days I don't, I go back and fill them in later. The idea is to focus on the positive things in life, and to celebrate the small stuff.


And you know what? Some days it's hard to think of anything to write in it, since I have a rule about timey-wimey things like "Today is awesome because tomorrow __________." It's good to look forward to tomorrow, but the whole point is to enjoy today, because if something isn't good about today, then something needs changing.


I also try to avoid things like "Today is awesome because __________ didn't happen." Because that's just saying "today sucked less than most other days" rather than "today was legitimately awesome."


Sometimes the entries are random little things like "Today is awesome because I watched another episode of Buffy," and sometimes they're about more fulfilling, more awesome stuff like "Today is awesome because I spent the entire afternoon with my best friend." It doesn't really matter (although it can be useful for measuring my general emotional state, but that's irrelevant) how big or small the awesome thing is, as long as it's there and I know it.
"Today something good happened, and here is what it was." 


I recommend that all of you try it for at least a few week and see what happens. I've been doing it since early January.


So today is awesome because I found out that I got a really good grade on my Latin project.

1 comment:

  1. I really like that "today is awesome" idea. I may just use it for myself.
    And congratulations on the grade in Latin!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.