Saturday, July 2, 2011

"And Sometimes There's A Third Even Deeper Layer..."

"Opinions are like noses. Everybody has one, they are different, and some are quite remarkable." - A Comment I Found On A Random Article I Was Reading


Funnily enough, immediately after writing the weed post, I went out into my grandma's art studio and colored with crayons with my sisters and cousin. After drawing a picture of something resembling either a tiki head or an african mask (or as my sister said, "your picture is really cultural." Great.), I thought I'd color the wrappers of crayons different colors.


They laughed at me. 


I told them I was making an artistic statement. Theoretically, the alternate colors would confuse the drawer, thereby making them unsure of what they were getting just judging by appearances. Basically, a rationalization for my art. Not that it needed one- I found it amusing.


Cut to a few minutes later, when my eldest younger sister picks up a crayon I had not touched and asks me "Is this one of the trick ones?"


So apparently pointing out examples of people crayons that don't match up with visual/label-based expectations makes people automatically put more thought into what might be on the inside.

2 comments:

  1. Is the third, deeper, layer exactly like the surface one? Anyway, couldn't you tell what color the crayon is by, well, looking at what color the crayon is? I love philosophy (and your metaphor), but sometimes I think I should have just been an engineer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, no it's not. I just needed a title.

    And as for looking a the crayon..."It's not a perfect metaphor." Oh snap.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.