Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Procrastinating **cough** I mean, blogging

"Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think." - Niels Bohr


This Saturday is the first debate tournament I'm attending in which I'm actually debating. As of right now, there are only three pieces of paper in my Con binder: my two-page opening speech, and my only piece of evidence.


It's possible that I may have won the practice debate today with only that (in terms of arguments, although I'm still getting used to the actual form of the event, so I may have lost basically just due to being inexperienced). I've only had two practices so far, and we're just meeting on Thursday to go over our cases.


On the Pro side, I'm a bit more prepared, but I'm working on developing a set of blocks for Con, which are pre-written supports and counter-arguments not actually used in the opening speech. My opponent today (both of the other people in my event are very nice people, so I'm glad to have them to practice with) said she was caught completely off-guard by my chosen line of reasoning, so if I can keep my thoughts (and speeches) organized, I think I'll be good to go for Con.


The resolution is "Justice requires the recognition of animal rights," and I'll be posting both of my constructives (opening speeches) on here after the tournament. (And if you're wondering why on Earth I like my Con case better, you'll just have to wait and see how I tackled it.)


Meanwhile, I have an application packet for Governor's School to finish, the PSAT and an interest meeting for UNC tomorrow, an interview for a place in a series of youth leadership seminars and a friend's poetry slam on Thursday, and my school's play on Friday.


And what am I doing? Oh yes, I'm blogging. Smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.