Monday, March 5, 2012

The Chronicles of Harris Burdick

"I am, indeed, a king, because I know how to rule myself." - Pietro Aretino


I got home today and was idly thinking about how I hadn't posted anything in more than a week, and was trying to think of interesting things to write about...and then my mom got the mail and there was a package for me. It contained a signed galley copy of The Chronicles of Harris Burdick-- 14 short stories based off of images from Chris Van Allsburg's The Mysteries of Harris Burdick.




I had entered a contest on Novel Novice back in November to choose one of five pictures and write a 250-500 word short story about it. Mine (here on Figment) had the thoroughly unoriginal title of "Mr. Linden's Library" (the title of the picture itself), but was apparently one of the five winners.


The funny thing is, I also submitted it to my fellow staff members of my school's literary magazine, and they hadn't actually been crazy about it. 


This gives me hope for the story I submitted to Tor.com around the same time, although judging by their estimated response times I don't expect to hear back from them until around when I hit college. They do have way more submissions, but they're also not limited to just five "winners"...
I guess we'll see. Although as of February 22nd, they still have submissions from before September 2010, so we'll see a long time from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.