Thursday, May 24, 2012

We Are Everywhere

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." - Jack London


I've read a lot of things in various places in the wonderful wide world of the Internet about how history curricula  often overlook LGBT(and all the other letters) history entirely and how that's an enormous problem and so on, so I was pleased when the video we watched in class today actually mentioned the first big protests on the issue back in the 70s.


But I had to laugh when the crowd was shown carrying enormous signs reading "WE ARE EVERYWHERE."


If someone's repulsed by a group of people but they can't always determine whether or not someone belongs to that group on sight...the best thing to do probably isn't to remind them that they are likely surrounded on all sides. Just saying.


I get what they're trying to do--"we're a large minority and you probably (know/are friends with/related to) a lot of us and you should think about that before you say/think offensive things"-- but...I don't know, I feel like I would just be more paranoid and literally homophobic than I was before if I was one of those people.

1 comment:

  1. I never really thought of that but you make a good point.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.