Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Geek Day 2011 (alternate title: In Which I Am Arrogantly Awesome And Rub It In A Bit)

"People, let’s hear it today for being single. Exploring the world, finding adventures, and scoping big scenes are hallmarks of being cool with being you. Because look — falling in love is great and falling in love is nice but that doesn’t mean going alone can’t also be sugar and spice. Good days and bad days, setting suns and shining stars, it’s all about perspective and focusing on who you are. Because if all you need is love, and all love needs is you, then it’s great to relax and enjoy… just being you with you." - 1000 Awesome Things Blog

"Everything is a word, and words make people." - my 7th grade poetry notes which I found while spring-cleaning


May 25th is apparently Geek Day, for some reason involving Star Wars. It's also Towel Day (Hitchhiker's Guide reference), and this year, it's also Harry Potter Day in my school's Unofficial Spring Spirit Week (yeah, you guys wish you weren't homeschooled- haha).


So when faced with the decision over Towel vs. Potter and being deprived of a Potter Towel...I immediately grabbed at the excuse to pretend I was at Hogwarts for a day. White shirt, black skirt, and the Gryffindor tie from the Hermione costume that won me a prize at the Half Blood Prince release party when I was nine (9 year-old me and 11 year-old Emma Watson look astonishingly alike if I'm not wearing my glasses and I've braided my hair the night before. The resemblance isn't huge anymore, though). I just wish all of my Ravenclaw stuff worked in May-- a sweater, scarf, and robes don't mix with 90-degree weather terribly well.


But in short, I spent the day feeling totally awesome. Rocked the clarinet solo in "Godzilla Eats Las Vegas". Shared grins with all of the other costumed people. Communally bought a couple pizzas with my lunch people, which we ate outside the band room. Had a couple little kids outside Dairy Queen stare at me like "Wait...does she go to Hogwarts?" Made Dr. Horrible and Portal references in Facebook comments after I got home. Finding a new place for my Rubik's Cube collection, mourning over the lack of a new Doctor Who episode this weekend...I'm making sure to celebrate Geek Day to the fullest.


Because apparently in today's high schools (or at least mine), you don't get teased for dressing up like a wizard. This makes me very happy.


But then this bitter, spiteful part of me that I try to keep bound and gagged goes "Pfft. Those people. They think they're Harry Potter fans. HA!" At which point said little voice starts listing my Potter Nerd Credentials. And while said credentials are kind of impressive (or perhaps just sad...), the rational, polite part of my brain kicks in and goes 


Nice part: Hey. Just because they don't go to wizard rock concerts or have a Harry Potter bedspread or know how many Valentine's Day cards Lockhart received in 1992 (46 as of breakfast), or (etc. etc. etc.) doesn't mean they don't genuinely like it. Let them be fans in their own--" 
Bitter part: *cough* INFERIOR *cough*
Nice part: "Excuse me. In their own perfectly valid way."


Bitter part exaggerated a bit for your amusement, but there you are.

2 comments:

  1. When I say I'm into wizards, part of me wants to add, "and I have been since before Harry Potter came out." I guess we all have our inner, bitter, hipster voice. Thom of Trebond forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was into witches before HP came out...but the only thing I read (other than Dr. Seuss and other such books) before my dad read HP and started telling me about it was fairytales. So...child of the 90s win? Ha.

    Ah, the inner bitter hipster voice.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.