Thursday, November 18, 2010

*spams with excitement* Harry Potter. Harry Potter. Harry Potter.

"Some editors are failed writers, but so are most writers." - T.S. Eliot


The people on my school's lit magazine staff are very different from you writing club people. They're much more technical, whereas we tend to deal more with good imagery, mental/emotional effect, and concepts. Not to say we don't go in for the phrasing, grammar, style, and such, but...


I'll probably mention this at the next meeting, but I'll stick it out here as well.
I anonymously submitted that poem I read a couple meetings ago, "Overheard in a Dream." They said the imagery and writing was great, but it appeared to not have a purpose.
I told them that was true. I was just enjoying writing poetry.
Unfortunately, I don't think they think too well of you guys, since I mentioned that you all had really liked it. Oops.


My mind is filled with Harry Potter. I have three IMAX tickets sitting next to me. I've posted in the past about just how much those books have consumed my life directly and indirectly. I scarcely remember a time when I hadn't read Harry Potter. I first moved into my own room in October of 1st grade, and there were many conversations about the series when I was still sharing, to put some perspective on that. In 2nd grade, I read my teacher's copy of The Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone until it literally fell apart (okay, it wasn't that new in the first place), and then I continued to just read the last half once every month or two. That was the year my mom hid my copies from me because I refused to read anything else.
This past week, it feels like not much has changed since then, despite that I haven't gone through the series in its entirety in maybe two years or so, which is a lot for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.