Friday, March 11, 2011

An Abundance of Quotes Part 11


"It is almost impossible to write a novel any better than the best novel you’ve read in the three to six months before you began writing your own. Thus you must read excellent novels regularly.
Excellent novels set the standards for our own. But bad novels and bad prose are what teach us to write—by setting strong negative examples. You must read both, then—and read them analytically and discriminatingly." - Samuel R. Delany


““Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will,” she says.
“Yeah, that’s true,” I say. But then after I think about it for a second, I add, “But then again, if you don’t imagine, nothing ever happens at all.”” - Paper Towns



"Retard in aluminum foil-- What a lady's knight in shining armor becomes when she really gets to know him." - Urban Dictionary. That's alright. Knights are overrated, anyway. A madman with a box, however, most definitely is a madman with a box.


"He has Van Gogh's ear for music." - Billy Wilder


"Sometimes in our hyper-cynical world, we forget that it's okay to get enthusiastic about things." - John Green


"I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long." - Mitch Hedburg


I was clicking around online and found something that said Ron Weasley's birthday is on Tuesday (this is actually un-true. Ron's birthday was on a Tuesday, but I started this post several weeks ago)  so I mentioned it aloud. My 8 year-old neighbor who is visiting said "Who's Ron Weasley?" 


I am not used to that question.

7 comments:

  1. Make you feel old? (The question that is.)

    Also, a wonderful quote from Paper Towns. I should probably re-read that soon, since there is so much good to think about in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way when people talk about being disappointed on their 11th birthday because they didn't get Hogwarts acceptance letters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have journal entries I wrote about that when I was 10-- it was a significant source of worry as to how Dumbledore would know about me if I was living in America.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've got to ask, what video does john say 'sometimes in our hyper-cynical world, we forget that it's okay to get enthusiastic about things.' cus its been bugging me ALOT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that quote was absurdly hard to source! Took about half an hour to find, but it comes from their video WROCK! Anyway, having answered that question I hope I have earned enough good will to point out that "a lot" is actually two separate words ;) DFTBA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Thank you so much Kenny! You clearly remembered to be awesome! >.< Oops, I'm always doing that. Silly me D: Thank you SO much again. DFTBA.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.