Wednesday, March 16, 2011

In Which I Complain About Young Whipper-Snappers

(Exactly what is a whipper-snapper?)


There are about four kids at Elementary School Writing Club that get there, sit down, eat their snack, and start to work.
There are about twenty kids in the club.


I thought I'd sit down with a few of them with my own paper and pencil, and they would stop talking to each other and focus.
Instead, they started telling each other to focus in hopes of me being pleased with them (I wasn't), and interrogating me as to how I managed to write two pages in the time it'd taken them to write two sentences.


Well...I'd like to tell them it's this thing called self-discipline that allows me to write instead of talking with my friends...but that would be terribly hypocritical of me (as well as mean if I were to phrase it that way). 


Because have I written much of anything recently? No.
Why is that? I've been online...talking with my friends. (and watching 10 episodes of Bones since Sunday morning...but let's not mention that)


I don't regret any of that time, though. I just wish there were more hours in the day in which I could write and do that dreaded Chemistry Homework that reproduces right before I kill off the last of it. If ever a species deserved to be extinct...


Things You Should Learn From This:



  1. Procrastinating from enjoyable work in favor of enjoyable non-work is acceptable only if I am the one doing it (because children are lazy, and us teenagers deserve it because we work so hard all day and we're mature and wise and need to enjoy our retirement...oh wait, hold on...)
  2. Bones is an excellent show, and you should watch it. More on Bones in a future post.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE BONES! One of the most original, adorable, truly an Asperger's case of a character ever put on television.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.