Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Will Grayson, Will Grayson: The Truth

1. Read Will Grayson, Will Grayson. And also read the Ranger's Apprentice series. Both are absolutely fantastic.

2. As a result of my reading the first of those, I'm listening to a podcast episode about it, which made this thought occur to me:

Have you ever had something that involves someone else, and you haven't told them, and it occurs to you to tell them, even though you know you won't, you go and open a new email and address it to them and stare at the blank email for awhile?
(This is relating to a quote about truth in WGWG.)
I haven't. But that thought occurred to me today, and I found it very appealing. Why is that? Why bother, if I knew that I'd never actually write it, much less send it?
Is it because the person not sending the email has the power to provide or withhold information? And we like that power?
Or is it because "Imagining the future is a kind of nostalgia." (Sarah Green)?
The truth has power, obviously, so maybe we like wrapping that power up in a little ball and holding it close.
Or maybe we're just cowards and like the thought of telling the given person the given thing.

There I go with the generalizations of the global population again. Sorry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.