Friday, February 4, 2011

Quite A Day

“We are almost always wrong, maybe not all the way wrong, but at least a little bit. Even the simplest questions have vast complexities built into them, and understanding that we never fully understand things leads to a much healthier and more effective relationship with the world.” - Hank Green


During 1st period this morning, we were informed that a senior at our school died last night. I didn't know her. I felt bad because while I did, of course, wish that she was healthy and alive, I wasn't truly feeling grief. I've heard several rumors of what exactly happened that differed on the details, but it seems to be fact that she was sick, not murdered or in an accident. 


During 2nd period this morning, our band director told us a story. About 5 years ago, his father died-- during Band Camp, the most grueling, horrible experience most marching band members have ever had to endure: 2 weeks of being outside in 90-100 degree high-humidity weather from dawn until past dusk. He got the call, went to be alone for a bit, and then came back and threw himself into camp. He said that being among his hard-working students who he loves helped him to take his mind off of things. 
He said that at the beginning of class, he was going to let us do whatever we wanted for the entire period. We wouldn't rehearse, and he wouldn't hold the scheduled trombone auditions. Then he decided that things happen, both good and bad, and we needed to keep trying to go on with things.
He said that he cared about all of us as people before caring about us as students, and if we needed to come talk to him, we could. He said that he was proud of us, and that he loved us.
That's when I teared up. As I'm typing this, I'm finally fully crying. He's probably one of my favorite teachers I've ever had, partially because of the actual teaching, but mostly because of things like that. That's what I'm going to be writing my band essay on later this spring.
So we rehearsed and the trombones had auditions.


During 3rd period this afternoon, our principal came on the intercom and said that all 3rd lunch off-campus lunch passes were revoked until further notice, because there had been an "incident," and we weren't allowed off of campus for our own safety. We knew it couldn't be too terrible, because if it was we'd be in lock-down. But it was a bit much, considering that most of us were emotionally shaken as it was.


During 4th period this afternoon, we had class in a different building, because our usual room was being used as a base for all of the counselors and psychologists they had on hand to help students. Our principal came on the intercom again, said that the incident had been at the mall right across the street but everything was fine now, and that he was very proud to be our principal because we had handled ourselves well and supported each other so much today. Which led me and a couple of other people to near-tears again.


So it's been an interesting and emotional day, to say the least. 


Also, my iPod froze. Literally froze, because it was so cold on my walk to my grandma's after school, and it was in my hand instead of in my nice warm pocket. Fortunately, it's working again. (Although I must admit that I was kind of hoping it was broken so that I'd have an excuse to buy an iPod Touch).


And while I have been getting a lot of dumb "we want you to like us" emails from colleges over the past week, one of the Ivies sent me an email about their summer programs for high schoolers.
I really don't want to be thinking about college right now, much less super-expensive-and-prestigious ones, both right now in my life in general, as well as today specifically.


But the Krispey Kreme Challenge is tomorrow, so I get to be shaken, homework-laden, stressed, and sore all weekend. YES.

3 comments:

  1. It was indeed an interesting day. I never found out the "incident" details--not for sure. But while I was sad (I did not know her either, but it's still horrible), I tried not to let it bum me out too much. You know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tough day. Your band director sounds like a wonderful, wonderful person - and such a great leader for all of you. I can remember several students dying when I was in high school - some I knew, some I didn't. Regardless, it always seemed to leave such a strange funk in the school for the next few weeks. I think everybody was doing their best to process it, but it was like the whole school just seemed "off". I'm glad you guys have somebody like your band director to help you work through stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's probably one of the most-loved teachers in the entire school.
    They're trying to organize a talent show to raise money to help her parents cover the medical expenses, but there's been some issues with school board policy.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.