Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Home Alone And Bored

“I don’t really care how people read. I care if people read.” - John Green


"A smile is the light in your window that tells others that there is a caring, sharing person inside." - Denis Waitley


There is something inherently pleasing about writing on a white board. The bold, black strokes of the marker on the (hopefully) totally blank background, barren of all color (or rather, filled with so much color that it appears to be empty, if we want to be technical).
Then the marks can be wiped away immediately, if one so chooses.


Stuff like that seems like it would only be found as the musings of the narrator within one of the higher-quality YA novels. But no. It's something I was thinking about during my Chemistry review session after my Pre-Calc exam (which I feel went rather well), in much the same words as I have related to you here.
I just finished Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn, which is why I was thinking about YA narration.
It was a very good book. I had difficulty not laughing aloud at some points while others were trying to graph sine curves and figure out binomial probability. (Yeah, I tend to finish exams early.) The one issue I have with Levithan's books, though, is that they tend to take place in cities, so the characters actually have a plethora of things to be doing, and tend to have a lot more freedom. 
Whereas I...read and write both on paper and online, both fiction and otherwise. Sometimes I go see movies with friends. That's about it.


Actually...there's a wizard rock concert in a few weeks...I'm excited. The Blibbering Humdingers, The Whomping Willows, JFF, and Lauren Fairweather will be preforming. These are all people I see around 3-5 times a year (we're lucky- the Humdingers live about 10 minutes away from me and there's a lot of fans in the area, so tours often come to visit), but I still always look forward to it. I went to go buy some Willows songs from iTunes a few months ago, and I was disappointed in the recordings. "The House of Awesome Theme Song," in particular, does not live up to the live experience.


I hate this keyboard. The spacebar only works about 50% of the time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.