Saturday, January 29, 2011

Libraries Recommending "Inappropriate" Books

"The ultimate aim of the ego is not to see something, but to be something." - 
Muhammed Iqbal

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.safelibraries.org/pushers.htm


I was wandering around the nerdfighter forums today and found the above article. It's quite long, though, so I don't expect you to go read it.


I wrote an entire post about that article, and then found something on a different blog that summed up my thoughts very well: http://asifnews.blogspot.com/2006/03/what-to-do-about-sexually-explicit.html

I would like to add to that, however, that in the case of some mature teens, the teens in question should make the decisions for themselves-- even if their parents disagree.


Then again, I'm both biased and generally only exposed to teens who are definitely mature enough to know what they do and do not want to read.


Sometimes it's hard to put forth impartial commentary from such a non-average position, and for that I am sorry. I am who I am, and I'm friends with my friends. 

2 comments:

  1. I should like to point out that, in all likelihood, all teens feel themselves mature enough to make their own decisions regarding what content they should be exposed to. I do not mean to disagree that some teens can regulate their own content without making too much a mess of their own lives, only to point out the difficulty inherent in allowing this freedom to some teens and not others.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.