Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Power of Anonymity

"We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?" - something a guy in my math class wrote on the board


Whenever I get a rejection letter back, I feel slightly resentful. I know I shouldn't, and I know the letter is nothing personal (in more ways than one, considering that many start with "Dear Author,") and I know that I just need to keep sending out the queries. However, that feeling is still there.


Then some Tuesday night, I stumble upon one of these agents' blogs. Suddenly (in this case he) becomes real, and then I feel bad for my resentment. It's not his fault. He gets thousands of queries per year. He's a real person with real feelings and he doesn't deserve my irritation.


Which in turn annoys me, because I enjoy being annoyed at these faceless agents who send me death letters addressed in my own handwriting.


Today I began writing my first short story that can be classified as "real sci-fi." It's not dystopian. I love dystopian fiction. This is something else. This is something I'll probably read to writing group in January, seeing as how I have "Shortwave, Part 1" (which really needs a new title) finished for tomorrow.


Stay tuned for an announcement by the end of the week...probably. I would tell you what it depends on, but that would give it away.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.