Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Elegy for the Midnight Sun

(For those of you who check the time stamps- and who am I kidding? None of you do - yes, I'm typing this at school. I finished writing my programs.)

We read a story in English last week called "The Handsomest Drowned Man in the World." Today, we had to write an elegy for said Handomest Drowned Man. I haven't posted much of my fiction/poetry on here, but today you get to read some. It would be better if you found the story online and then read the poem, because then you would understand it, but I don't know if it's readily available, so whatever.


A piece of driftwood, a ship, a whale
A lonely sailor, taken away
Past devoured by the waves that took his life
Rebuilt by the village
This village
A sandcastle taken from the waves
As they, in turn, create the sand

A king he became
And a kingly funeral given
Loved and cared for
Land doing what sea did not

Reincarnation came swiftly here
A sailor to a handsome Midas
Turning everything he touched into gold
Not nothing any longer
A man even Davy Jones spat back out
Means more than anything elsewhere
Even once midnight has come

The first stanza reminds me of something (something from Lord of the Rings, maybe?). Do any of you know what it is?

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of Bilbo's Earendil poem. The Fellowship of the Ring. "Earendil was a mariner/ Who tarried in Arvernien/ He built a ship of timber felled/ In Nimbrethil, to journey in..."

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.