Sunday, September 12, 2010

My Dark and Dangerous Past

"The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause." - Mark Twain


I was arguing with my mom earlier about something, and (like most of our arguments) it ended with her saying "That's the way it is, and when you're living on your own, you can do it differently." So I was thinking about that and...I only have LESS THAN 3 YEARS left until that time is pretty much here. I mean, I'll be at home over the summer and other breaks and stuff during college, but for the most part...God, it's so close. Yet so far away. 


(This post was going to be a lot longer and have a main topic. That topic involved me talking about the Shadow quartet and the Bible stories it references, so I got my Bible out of the closet to look up the quotes and...
Wow, I was angry during Confirmation class. I mocked the living hell out of the first few chapters of Genesis via the margins.
It's funny to read them, but I also feel bad now. I'm sorry for desecrating you.)


Of course, when I'm sitting in a room I was forced to sit in listening to a bunch of people talk about some stuff I disagree with and/or find offensive, I'm liable to be angry. At least I kept it to myself instead of bringing it up in discussion.


Come to think of it, some of the most "heretical" bits of fiction and poetry I've ever written were done before/during/after those classes...hm.


The Family Business was one of them. It was originally a lot darker and more serious (and a lot worse) and was about Jake's sister Eve instead of Jake. It was called Sweet and Sinister and didn't have much of a plot other than "Eve is the angel of death and malicious and darkly awesome." I was in 5th grade at the time. I think I started chapter 1 before setting it aside and re-writing it as Jake a year or two later.


Now that I'm finished with those classes, though, I'd like to say that I'm a lot less malevolent toward it all, but maybe that's just because I'm exposed to it a lot less. Sorry if I've upset anyone. :)


So there you have it: the backstory to a novel I intend to write eventually, some dark tidbits of me during middle school, and a paragraph of insight into my I Am Growing Up nerves. And also a nice quote from Mark Twain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.