Friday, October 1, 2010

Arts Classes

Written on 9/24/2010
Typed on 9/30/2010


"Should arts classes be required?"


Yes.
Academics/core classes are incredibly important. How can we live in a place without understanding the simple things that make it work?
With academics, we have scientific progress, and all of the things we need to have a functioning society. Very left brain stuff.
The arts is where the fun comes in: movies, theater, music, visual arts, books, the Internet (graphic design, all of the mediums for self-expression...). 


"In order to be more “whole-brained” in their orientation, schools need to give equal weight to the arts, creativity, and the skills of imagination and synthesis." -http://www.funderstanding.com


Let's go to Newton's laws: with every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. That's why I'm wearing rubber bands with my braces right now- to keep my bottom teeth from going where they shouldn't.
This law means that stuff likes to be balanced. So let's keep our brains balanced.


I have no intention of going into science professionally. That doesn't mean I don't like it. I love learning about science, and reading Popular Science magazine, and reading/watching sci-fi. I just don't want it to be my job.


If I can love something out of my field, why shouldn't the scientists be required to take a few artistic classes in high school? I'm not saying they should have it as their second major in college. They don't even have to continue with it as a hobby. Arts are something that's needed to be a well-rounded individual.


Besides- it's through art of all forms that we come to understad people in real terms (not broad, general, vague terms that describe large groups or big concepts). Everyone (except hermits and people with secrets) deals with a lot of people a lot of the time. People are something everyone needs to understand- and a psychology class won't necessarily help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.