Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Journey

“I think it’s important to like stuff. I think we spend a lot of time thinking about the stuff we don’t like, man. Whether it’s, y’know, the world ending or inequality or ‘Sex and the City,’ we often just accept the things that we like and complain a lot about the things that we don’t like. But if we could, like, intensely dwell upon the really great things in life the way that we intensely dwell on the negative things in life, I think that would be fantastic.” - Hank Green


Here is the post on spiritual journeys I mentioned when we first started reading Siddhartha. Honestly, the conversations we've been having on it are much more interesting than the book itself, and without my own life to relate it to, it would be even less enjoyable to read. Not that it isn't a good book in and of itself.





Siddhartha (somewhat added and edited to since originally written)


Journeys are cyclical, but the journey is eternal. While I have always been myself and continually return to the same "themes," to take a leaf out of Alexandra Sokoloff's book, "myself" has, of course, changed.
I live at home, but I venture out on a daily basis. I learn things and talk to people and am a slightly different person when I get back. But I do get back. I return home, even though part of me is lost forever (this is why we should savor the moment- but that's a different post entirely).


(A personal example that, while very pertinent and interesting, is not something I want to share online at this time)


The journey isn't a circle-- it's a sine wave. We visit the same places (y-coordinate, or home) time and time again, but we're still moving forward (x-coordinate, the fact that I'm a different person when I get home).


Is there any one thing I've always been (other than changing)? I've always been questioning. I've always been drawn to technology (especially, ha, Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction, which I've been playing for about a decade), and there are, of course, the external things -my name, my relatives, etc. That's the hardest thing to remember about people, I think - their insides are constantly metamorphosing into something new and (hopefully) better.


New Bonus Quad N video:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.